Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Asking for Films to be Added to FamilySearch's Digital Collection

I've been working on some Ohio research lately and yesterday's finds led me to Knox County deed book films that haven't been made available online yet.

I recalled reading something about asking FamilySearch to add films to a wish list and a bit of online searching took me to a FamilySearch article titled "UPDATE: FamilySearch Digital Records Access Replacing Microfilm." It says "if customers need access to a particular film yet to be digitized, they can express interest to have it added to the priority digitization by contacting FamilySearch Support." [1]

So, I called the number (1-866-406-1830) and inquired.

The short of it is, I was allowed to ask for up to five films and so I did.

This morning I received an email telling me three things:

  • My request was submitted.
  • They might not be able to put a film online; it depends on permission from the record owner.
  • They can't tell me when the films might be available and can't notify me if/when it happens, so I should just keep checking back. [2] 
Fair enough! I'm not in a hurry and I appreciate having a chance to make the suggestions.

Some of the other films in the same catalog entry are available online, so I'm hopeful this will work out. If you want to follow the progress with me, here are the films I requested:

"Deeds (Knox County, Ohio), 1808-1901"

Films: 314030, 314031, 314032, 314056, 314059

Have you had experience requesting access this way? If so, please share your experience in a comment.

________

     1. "UPDATE: FamilySearch Digital Records Access Replacing Microfilm," FamilySearch Newsroom, 30 August 2017 (https://media.familysearch.org/update-familysearch-digital-records-access-replacing-microfilm/ : accessed 5 December 2017).

     2. FamilySearch Support, Salt Lake City,  to Cynthia Richardson, e-mail, 6 December 2017, "Digitization Acknowledgement," privately held.

No comments:

Using the Family History Library Record Lookup Service

Have you heard about the Family History Library Record Lookup Service? It's a very convenient way to obtain digital copies of Chicago vi...